Otters in the Outer Hebrides

Whilst on the Isle of Harris, Outer Hebrides, we were lucky enough to have have two very good sightings of Otters, and both were quite close. A family either lived or regularly visited the small bay just outside where we were staying.

Our first sighting was literally within a few hours of arriving on Harris, and it was the longest sighting, with the otters being visible for almost 20 minutes straight. I think it is fair to say that we were very lucky. The family of three swam around, fed and even played very close to where we were standing, which was magnificent. It also allowed some very good photos to be taken and for me to capture some footage of them. And this post is where I will share those images and videos. Below is a collection of footage and photos from the first sighting on that first day.






Swimming Otters 
Otters

The trip produced my most amazing encounter with Otters, and I'm not sure it will be beaten any time soon. It was a fantastic experience, and it just shows that the Outer Hebrides really are a brilliant place to watch wildlife.


Comments

  1. Seems like you had a good holiday. Eagles and otters, how lucky are you! Always wanted to visit that part of Scotland. Seen ptarmigans, capercallies but never eagles, I envy you lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, and thank you for reading my blog! Harris really lived up to its wild potential, and it is one of the best places to see eagles in my opinion. Ptarmigans and Capercaillies are not yet on my list though, so Scotland still has sightings to give!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conservation: Costa Rica Leading By Example after Deforestation Report

Extremadura: Raptors

Bird Ringing in Surrey